FGas Register Frequently Asked Questions

If you have additional questions, please visit DEFRA to find out more about regulations. Full FGas terms & conditions can be found here.

What are the F Gas regulations?

The main objective of the F Gas EC Regulations is to contain and thereby reduce emissions of F Gases as covered by the Kyoto Protocol, with the over ruling aim being to help combat climate change.

The obligations in the F Gas Regulation (EC Regulation 842/2006) and the Ozone Regulation (EC Regulation 2037/2000) affect many sectors. In some cases, the obligations lie with the owner / operator of the equipment. In others, the obligations lie with third parties, such as equipment suppliers, maintenance contractors and waste handling companies.

The full F Gas Regulations can be found here

Will these regulations affect me and my business?

The F Gas Regulations apply to and affect all sizes and types of businesses, from sole traders and partnerships to larger, limited companies and public limited companies. If your business carries out the installation or servicing of refrigeration, air-conditioning or heat pump equipment that contains, or is designed to contain, F Gas refrigerants then by law you must obtain a company certificate.

Why do I require a company certificate?

If your business does not have a company certificate by 4 July 2009 your company will be subject to Local Authority enforcement measures.The regulations place strict obligations on operators of SRAC equipment and if your business is not certificated you will be placing your customers at risk.

What is the difference between interim and full company certification?

The F Gas Regulations and Quidos recognise that not all businesses will be able to meet the full company certification standards by 4 July 2009. This is most likely  to be because their employed engineers will only hold the old CITB J01 or City and Guilds 2078 qualifications. 

The interim certification period lasts until 4 July 2011 to allow businesses time for their employed engineers to gain one of the new qualifications: CITB J11 - J14 or City and Guilds 2079. Businesses can apply for a full certificate at any time provided its employed engineers hold one of the new qualifications mentioned above.

How often will my certificate need to be renewed?

Interim certificates will only remain valid until 4 July 2011. They must be replaced by a full certificate on or before that date.

Full certificates are valid for three years from the date of issue but must be renewed on or before expiry.

I obtained an f-gas qualification in another EU country. Can I still become certified within the UK?

As f-gas regulations are EU wide you can become certified within the UK as long as your f-gas qualification is approved by the relevant government in that EU state.

What do I need to do in order to become an f-gas qualified engineer?

In order to become an f-gas qualified engineer you need to do a training course and obtain a qualification with the following title:

Level 2 award in f-gas and ODS regulations

You can choose from 2 awarding bodies:

-City and Guilds (product code is: 2079)

A list of the training centres who offer f-gas training can be found on this webpage

Can the f-gas qualification be transferred from outside of Europe?

No. The f-gas qualification cannot be transferred from outside of Europe. You would need to undertake the f-gas training in the UK to be able to work here.

For how many years will my F-gas certification be valid?

Your certification will be valid for three years.

Can I change the personal details of my existing certificate?

Yes, you can e-mail the desired changes to fgas@quidos.co.uk and our f-gas team will be able to make the modifications required.

Is my certification valid throughout Europe?

Please note that the F-gas regulations are EU wide, therefore as long as you have the relevant qualification in an EU member state, you are eligible to work with our certification.

E.g. a Portuguese sole trader who received his F-gas qualification in Portugal can still get certified by us in England and use that in Portugal. This of course if the F-gas qualification received is the approved and relevant qualification by e.g. Portugal.

I tried to register online but never received anything

The system automatically sends out a password to your inbox within a couple of seconds. If you didn’t receive it, you would need to check your ‘Spam’ folder. In the case your password is not in your ‘Spam’ folder, please send an e-mail to fgas@quidos.co.uk